Translate

Friday, April 13, 2012

A Funny Thing happened from the Layout to the Sewing Machine....and Merlot in the Afternoon....

"A teacher affects eternity; he/she [sic] can never tell where his/her [sic] influence stops."    - Henry Adams

Hooray for the teachers!  I added the "her" to the quote above because I have two wonderful sisters who are teachers and I admire them so much................and I know Mr. Adams must have been including both genders when he made the quote above and if not, then he should have!

I am at this point now with my Terrain Apple quilt and it is a good thing I took a photo of the layout earlier so that I can see where I went wrong!  LOL........I did make one tiny little change from the photo but then something happened when I picked it up and sewed it.....Somehow what turned out doesn't look like the layout......All in all, though, I am happy with the way it looks and I didn't have to undo too many seams......I did have to take out one long seam because I sewed the row on backwards but that was the worst problem I encountered........

The top is a little smaller than I want....since the pattern is based on using a jelly roll (which I adapted to use a layercake instead) ..this is as large as the amount of fabric permits.  But I did buy some extra yardage so I will sew on some borders to make it the size I want....

and another one bites the dust!  Don't know how many spools I've actually gone through because some of them weren't brand new but this was a lot of sewing! LOL.......

Oh!  I am sure for some of you more seasoned and knowledgeable quilters this little tidbit is old news, but I got this little tip from a paper-piecing tutorial...............They suggested that you utilize one of those wallpaper seam rollers to "iron" your seams open..........and it really does work! 



I still press my seams afterward but it really helps when you are sewing a series of seams and don't want to get up from your sewing table to press.......

oh..........you may be wondering about the "Merlot in the Afternoon" part of this post.........well some of you may remember that I work graveyards on Fridays and Saturdays..........On Saturday I have absolutely NO PROBLEM sleeping during the day but for some reason this is difficult for me on Friday...........I just have too many things I want to do before I have to go to work......and just because my brain says I should sleep in since I'm working through the night........my INTERNAL clock says it's time to get up at 7:00 on Friday morning!   So once in awhile I decide maybe I should make that internal clock a little groggy and so I have a glass of wine or maybe a beer in hopes that it will make me sleepy enough to take a nap on Friday...........so now that I have had that glass of Merlot I'm going to go see if it worked!   I'll let you know on a subsequent post...............TaTa for now.....



7 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

I really like this quilt...and I never heard of the wallpaper roller thingy...lol great idea though.

Hilachas said...

I can't wait to see your quilt top. I'm sure you're the only one who will be so critical. I love the merlot idea, although I would choose Pinot Grigio (sp). Which isn't a bad idea for right now :)

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

Your quilt top looks great..look forward to seeing it with the borders!
~Terry~

Anonymous said...

Ida thankyou for the roller tip and love your quilt,well done,enjoy your Merlot.xx

Josie McRazie said...

I often miss my Mother's set up (However I never quilted over there just light sewing) She had an ironing board right behind her sewing machine at chair level so all she had to do was turn her chair around and roll less than a foot and there was her iron!! (Of course her machine looked out the window and she had a HUGE room just for sewing!

Needled Mom said...

The roller idea is a great one. I always just finger press unless I am doing the paper piecing.

I hope the Merlot worked for you!

Cherie said...

I love the quilt! It is a shame when it doesn't end up as large as you want it. Good thing about borders!
Great idea with the rollers. I'll have to see if they sell them here....=D