Translate

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Quilting the State Bird Dresden...................

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”  ― Mahatma Gandhi


Ok I said I was going to start working on one of my UFO's..........and I am happy to report that the State Bird Dresden Quilt has come out of the UFO pile and is happily residing in the WIP category!  Can we hear a "yee-haw!" ??
I have to show you some photos of my poor little Singer wrestling with this huge quilt:

I am quilting down the seam line between the plates and around the diamond shape formed by the extra State Circles I appliqued in the corners of the dresden blocks. Once that is done I will quilt around the petals on the plate and do some FMQ on the extra circles.

I managed to get two of the center rows quilted and then pulled it down to see what the back looked like.  There were a couple of places I had to engage my seam ripper because of the puckers and then I pulled the whole thing back down on the floor to re-pin in from the back when I came up with a fabulous idea:  Call my sister to see if she was available to help me with the re-pin.
Irene just got back from a two-week trip to see her eldest son and his family so she had nothing better to do than help me out, right?  (She can unpack and do all that boring stuff later).............. besides that we had some catching up to do...........I love when we get together after one or the other of us has been gone for awhile because neither one of us can get a word in edgewise..........
we also shared a couple of glasses of wine, some new FQ's that each of us had gotten and swapped some postage stamp patches then got the quilt ready for me to tackle again tomorrow...............and all is well with the world............
I will show you my progress tomorrow..........Ta-Ta for now!



 

9 comments:

Rachel said...

Beautiful! It deserves to be a WIP...You are so lucky to have help so close!!

Anthea said...

Ida the quilt looks like it's going to eat the sewing machine! Good on you getting to work on it again - it will be great when it's done. Your FMQ will be gorgeous after a couple glasses of wine, LOL

Barb said...

A big YEHAW!!!!

Melody said...

This is so gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous,well done Ida.xx

Hilachas said...

Glad to help. Your Dresden is going to be so beautiful! Someone suggested having a couple of glasses of wine while you quilt which reminds me how much we enjoyed our wine while preparing the quilt for your little Singer sewing machine. Our visit was such fun!

The English Ladies! said...

What a beautiful quilt.

Needled Mom said...

I'll bet the two of you had a blast tackling that project. Wine always makes the work better anyway!!!!

The Dresden quilt is really beautiful. I hope the quilting is going better today.

Cherie said...

The quilt is coming along nicely. Interesting quilting style!

So awesome that your sister stopped her boring unpacking to come help you with your quilt =P