Translate

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Back in the Tablecover business!


Friends are helpful not only because they will listen to us, but because they will laugh at us; Through them we learn a little objectivity, a little modesty, a little courtesy; We learn the rules of life and become better players of the game.
— Will Durant

When my little Sister visited a couple of weeks ago she loved my 4Seasons tablecloth and reminded me that HER table was the exact same size and SHE would love to have something like that for her table............well I suddenly became obsessed with making her "Belated Birthday-Early Christmas Present"...............I have been enjoying my embroidery machine so much and I never seem to tire from making new projects with it................here is the flimsy for what I am calling "The Beatitudes Table Cover"............

 When I started out with the first block I really didn't know what I was going to do but I wanted to include some scripture for her so I used some of the "Love Scriptures" I had also used on the 4-Seasons cover but I used my Embroidery software to "split" the pattern and leave just the written scripture without the additional embellishments.........Unfortunately on the one you see on the upper right corner of the center block (photo below), I forgot to center the pattern in my resulting file after I split it, so it isn't didn't center to the hoop correctly.......was I going to pull it all out and risk tearing my block????? NOT! ......so the little mistake becomes part of the "character" included with all the love I am putting into this project......lol.........


 Unfortunately, I didn't stop there at including "character" into this project......After I decided that the 8 Beatitudes would be perfect for the other 8 blocks, I began by cutting out 13x13 inch squares for each block.  I gave myself a half-inch leeway so the squares would be 12.5 square after the embroidery was done.  I wanted the scriptures to be able to be read no matter where one was sitting at the table so I turned each corner block when I embroidered the pattern....ummmm...well I turned the first two corners and forgot and embroidered the last two straight...........that meant I had to re-cut those blocks, which wasn't a huge problem since I decided to add the red half square triangles to the corners........ except that now the "mistake blocks" became bias-blocks and they stretched some and created some puckering when I connected them.  I am hoping the quilting process will correct it............

I still haven't decided on what I will use for the drop.....I am one of those sewing by the seat of my pants sort of girl and I don't often know how my projects will end up until I see them so we shall see what this project turns into.......til then I will say Ta-Ta for now......talk to you later..............




8 comments:

Barb said...

Oh wow...she will soooo love this!

Missy Shay said...

I love the table cover!

Helen said...

Oh Ida thank you I do the same thing lots times. I didn't even notice the mistake until I read about it. It's gorgeous ,your sister will love it.ps I love your Quote :-))))

sunny said...

What a great idea for a table cover! It will be well loved.

Kat said...

I'm a "seat of my pants" sewer, too... Maybe that's why we get along so well :-).

Aren't sisters something? Ahhh.... They mention something in a sweet little way, bat their eyelashes, and we're at our machines working away, haha. I love the table cover and I'm sure your sister will, too :-).

Anthea said...

Hi Ida! I am sure the topper will turn out really well... you are certainly getting fantastic use from your embroidery machine... the fabric colours are great! take care x

Hilachas said...

Jaja, I enjoyed reading this post. It is So you and so perfect for Barbara. She will love it knowing how you loved making it for her.

Needled Mom said...

I didn't even notice the off center block until you pointed it out. She is really going to love it - especially since it was made by you just for her!