Translate

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Happy Birthday and a gift from Daddy.....



"You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old."
~ George Burns




I was totally spoiled yesterday for my birthday!  I did go to work but everyone at work wished me Happy Birthday and all my facebook friends too!  The best part was when I got home my Sis, her hubby and my son had a wonderful steak dinner for me followed by this yummy cheesecake!  I am blessed!


In addition to the dinner and the cake, Irene brought these goodies!  I got a new mini iron to press my quilt blocks as I sew the patches together and a neat assortment of thread.  Best of all is a cushion Irene made me from one of our Dad's shirts......The label reads: "This is a shirt that Daddy used to wear.  Whenever you hold it, know that he is near"...thank you Irene.....you know how much I love it all.  

 Next week will mark a year since we said goodbye to our beloved Daddy.......there are many times I still can't believe he's gone.....I want to share a little gift that he gave me about 45 years ago....I was 18 years old and in the hospital and he brought me this beautiful little alarm clock............



I proceeded to knock it off my night stand the very next day and it never worked again.......I loved it so much that I have kept it all these years...........A couple of days ago I opened the box it came in and decided I wanted to be able to look at it everyday so I formulated a plan...........

I found a pretty ME pattern and made this:
I really didn't want to ruin the clock even though I never plan to have it repaired because my forgetful self knows I will never remember to wind it everyday so I just glued the pin cushion top to it........all the clock parts are still inside.............then I glued the rhinestone border to the top of it.............



Now I can see my little clock everyday and even use it when I sew!.........here it is on my bedside table right next to a photo of my Daddy...........



 One of the good things about having a big family is you could celebrate your birthday indefinitely!  haha........next week I go visit Mom and my other Sis......so maybe there will be more cake!! lol...........


5 comments:

sunny said...

Happy Birthday again! what a clever way to repurpose the clock. You're quite clever, my friend.

Needled Mom said...

Happy birthday, Ida! You deserve to be spoiled on your special day and I love what Irene made you. I can see me dropping a treasured gift too, but you did such a great job in restoring it to a useful and pretty pincushion.

I hope the year ahead will be a wonderful one for you.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Ida I love the gifts your sister gave you and I sew love your pin cushion,what a great idea xx

Hilachas said...

Hapy Birthday! Again.. We had a wonderful time celebrating your birthday with you. I love how the clock turned out. That cheesecake made a yummy breakfast for you whiile we ate oatmeal overr here, jaja. I love you so much. Continue the birthday celebration!

Helen said...

Happy Birthday Ida, beautiful presents from Your sis, hope you have a wonderful day and week !!!